Sunday, April 13, 2008

Small town hero

I live in a small town and receive the local newspaper, The Wallace Enterprise. This week on the front page was an article on the war in Iraq. Wallace lost a native son, Staff Sgt. Emanuel Pickett. Pickett was killed by enemy fire while protecting a Forward Operating Base near Baghdad. He was 34 years old.
This week our little community has grieved together. Emanuel had been a member of the Wallace Police Department for 12 years. He also worked at a local butcher shop, Billy's Pork & Beef. Local businesses have placed bows on their doors in memory of Pickett.
I have read numerous articles in the national papers but never has one pulled at my heart like this one. This article has testified how a man from a small town made a difference in the large world we live in. I am very proud of all the men and women who voluntarily fight to protect the freedoms I enjoy. Emanuel paid the ultimate price for his family, friends and country.
As I think about Emanuel's sacrifice, I ponder John 15:13. "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." We all can not go over seas and fight in the war but we can give of ourselves sacrificially here at home.

No comments: